Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The front end and advice

When rebuilding a vehicle the best "tool" that I have found is a digital camera. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and when you are working on vehicles, taking lots of pictures of how things are put together really helps in the long run. You might get excited and take something apart and then when it's a month later and you need to assemble it, you can't remember how it was to go back together. That is where lots of photos come in handy. Not to mention that it's cool to see how things change in time. One of the other things that you shouldn't do is to throw away the old parts until you know you don't need them any more. The following is a good example why you may need to re-use the old parts.

Brake Spring Difference

This photo shows the difference between the "new" parts and the old parts. As you can see there is a lot of difference, especially in the length of the spring. I had ordered the correct item, it's just that sometimes the parts aren't exactly what you need. In this case I had to re-use the old springs and retainers.

Here is a photo of the brakes after I have rebuilt them.

Finished brakes

As you see - I had not cleaned up everything on the axel. This is going to be a daily driver and not a show car so I am not getting to that level. Maybe someday I'll rebuild it from the ground up but for now I just want to get it back on the road. I replaced everything within the drum, new bearings and seals, the shocks, and the rubber snubbers. I am still going to replace the rubber for the sway arm when they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment